Monday, June 18, 2012

"I'm not a big fat panda. I'm THE big fat panda"


" I'm not a big fat panda. I'm THE big fat panda." - Po "Kung Fu Panda"

The man's got the skill and he continues to be amazing. I am referring to Mike of Mike's Amazing Cakes.

Last year I flew to Seattle to take Mike's Structure Class of which we created a 3 dimensional Big Bird cake. I truly enjoyed the class and much was gained from it that I just had to take another. This time I had choice of what project to do. I went through several options but landed on one that I've been wanting to do for awhile. 

I obtained this book called "Po and Ping's Recipe Storybook" awhile back while researching for a Kung Fu Panda cake last year. The gravity defying part of having one of Po's leg up with the stack of noodle bowls intrigued me. I never had a chance make it or even think of it. I am truly glad we decided to go with this one out of all the other options as it turned out truly awesome!

Here are some photos from the class. Mike actually tackled 4 different projects and patiently went through each one up to completion with the help of his wonderful assistants.



 Po's Head



Noodle Production. That's Kelsey helping me get all the bowls done. And may I just say, I found someone as anal with details as I am! Mike wanted to wring our necks for creating each bowl differently :) 

Here are the other projects in class.


Erin's Tangled Tower which she created for her daughter. Lucky girl!


Jamie's (of Wicked Little Cake Company) Circus Elephant. This was wicked as the 3 small balls rotated! 

Tammy's HUGE replica of her Ron Burgundy bobble head. 


And here is me with the awesome crew at Mike's Amazing Cakes! Theresa who is Mike's office manager was of great help as well (wish I could have and afford a Theresa one day!). 
As Po would say " There is no charge for awesomeness...." Though this class costed me some $, it was worth it!

I love the projects I do for my family and customers but it was great to do something for myself for fun. It's not everyday that you get to work with one of greatest cake artists out there, meet wonderful fellow cake artists and to do something you truly love. Thanks again Mike for a great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment